Matooke flours properties have strong market appeal
- Good starch properties: Good composite for wheat/raw material for non-wheat bakery products, good consistence for, soups, porridges, as binder in confectionery etc. Resistant to swelling-very shelf-life.
- Potassium rich- approx 2%: Potassium good for healthy.
- Gluten free/high starch content: Strong wheat substitute.
- Virtually fat free: Popular trend among health conscious (international markets), Cholesterol free, Shelf-stable.
- Sugar free: Popular trend among health conscious (international markets).
- High energy density-in solubilised instant flours: Good as weaning food base for children/HIV/AIDS.
- High Fibre (instant matooke flours): (8%)-health food.
- Instant flours: –present novel convenient form for matooke.
- Very low phenolics:-flat taste no astringency/good colour